real encouragement for real homeschool moms

This video came from a recent conference on worship put on by the National Center for Family Integrated Churches. It is making is way around the web with much consternation about the arrogance these men exhibit while talking about rap music. (They don’t like it, surprise, surprise.) But where was the outrage when the NCFIC produced A Weed in the Church that denounces traditional age integrated aspects of church life as unbiblical? And why is no one taking these guys to task for their hierarchal views of women and anyone else who isn’t white and male? Doug Phillips and his Vision Forum may be gone or nearly gone but his legacy lives on and this video proves it. As much as the NCFIC and the patriocentric fathers (and mothers) and even Vision Forum interns are attempting to distance themselves from Phillips, they are still patriocentrists at heart as well as in word and deed. I will say it again, Doug Phillips is redeemable, his teachings are not!

27 Responses to people up in arms over NCFIC’s views of music, miss their core beliefs

• Kari kopari says:

Hmmm….doesn’t changing the lyrics qualify as redeeming the form of rap….there is fundamental change to the rap when you change the lyrics. These guys are legalists.

• Eric says:

Yes. Although their view of music is laughable from just about every informed viewpoint (ethnomusicology, missiology, sociology, liturgiology…), it clearly shows how the NCFIC’s theology relies on promoting a certain kind of culture– notice how much they stress that word!– as more “biblical” than another kind. Their ideas about the structure of a church service, and about gender roles and family struture, is just as much a product of their own culture as their ideas about music; only by a completely mypoic sleight of hand can it be said to be any more “biblical” than other ways of doing it.

• Paula says:

Haven’t listened to the whole thing but was struck with how white, middle aged, and male the commentators were. Not really representative of our culture or the church.

• Avelinn says:

I hear your concerns, thatmom. But I was actually just commenting on Scott Brown’s site. I don’t know if you’ve seen, but just today he posted asking for forgiveness for the panel discussion. I actually decided to ask a few questions. I guess what I’m hoping is that this issue is opening up the door for Scott Brown, the NCFIC, and others to hear Christian perspectives outside of their own. Which is unusual because they are usually so closed, sometimes even policing what other Christian web sites they are looking at. Scott has opened his blog up and is getting hundreds of comments from many different kinds of people, believers included. And this current post, he is actually responding to questions and comments. I guess I’m hoping that by opening the door up a little bit, and hearing the hearts and minds of other believers, that God could do something powerful within the movement. The movement is certainly going through something fierce right now. I don’t know. Maybe I’m just naive. I probably am. Because the extent of the things I’ve seen the last few days have shocked me, quite frankly. And I consider myself to be pretty discerning.

• Granddad says:

As I watched the video I kept wondering what Michael Horton and Ken Jones (The White Horse Inn) would think of this. Several weeks ago the WHI interview Ken Jones’ nephew who is a rapper with a very clear “Reformed” (i.e. Calvinistic) message. I posted to their blog, that although I personally don’t care for that style of music (heck, I don’t like Southern gospel, either) I appreciate the clear message of the gospel.

I am glad to hear about Scott Brown apology.

• Anthea says:

Hello Karen

I was well impressed to see you made a comment on a blog about this happ’nin’ rappin’ issue. Check you out! Joking aside, what a pithily perceptive observation on the issue.

One interesting point is that these people do not have their reasoning sharpened by discourse with Christians from outside the camp. The sloppy logic and reliance on caricature (rappers with wrinkles) show that they have never been forced to convince someone else. The whole discussion was so sectarian. Hence the bizarre reference to ‘Reformed Rap’. (Is that like reformed ham? I prefer a nice Parma myself, when funds allow …)

To answer your question, Karen, racism is blinking obvious and easy to see. Bad use of the Bible, not so simple to spot. That’s why those little books at the back of my Bible are constantly warning about false teaching. BTW, there is a nasty racist underbelly to the attitude about rap, cos apparently it’s the beats that are the problem (I read a transcript of the NCFIC video, and noticed the references to the origins of rap and the rhythms), which reminds me of the idea that jungle drums will drive our children wild and make them do unspeakable things. Also, there were comments on the origins of rap that were, to use a technical term, well dodgy.

Trivia Corner: One of the panellists (Which one? Can you guess?) boasts on his site about his music degree from a college of which I had never heard. Some commenters remarked on it, so I looked it up. Bob Jones University, in the bad old days when it severely restricted the brown students. The college defended its practice by referring to — yes, the Curse of Ham. So what views about culture and music would he have imbibed during his studies at that august institution? On his blog he pompously referred to the “sensual” rhythms of African drums, which render all MOBO ungodly. Don’t worry, though, it’s not racist! I was thinking this afternoon that you can know a lot of the jargon of music, and yet not have any grasp of what music is FOR.

PS The views of this NCFIC organisation have gone all over the place. Here is a link to an article against youth groups, in the most unlikely magazine you would ever expect to find it:

• thatmom says:

Eric, you have made such an important point. The FIC HAS create their own culture and pronounced it “biblical.” Having been part of that culture I can testify that this panel is pretty representative of it…white, married, with children, psalms sung to funeral dirge tunes, a particular “style” when it come to dress, etc.etc.etc. I have known singles and divorced dads with children, and elderly people who never feel like they are part of the body of Christ because of the “grand sweep of revelation” i.e., their own particular culture, preached as Gospel.

I thought it was interesting to listen to Morecraft. He is promoted as the wise elder within this circle and yet he seemed so absolutely out of touch with reality.

• thatmom says:

Jenny R, this you tube really sums up well the teachings on slavery within the FIC movement and their affinity for al things pre civil war. We often heard how evil Abraham Lincoln was and how great the slaves had it. And as someone who believes in the sovereignty of God, I am appalled that this is their default excuse for what happened in our history. Scripture forbids man stealing but rarely is that central to this issue with these people. And where are the one anthers of Scripture? Where are they?

• Anthea says:

Don’t be too upset, Granddad. It will be fine. It’s much better to know what you are dealing with in the area of false teaching.

Remember in Revelation when John sees people of every nation, tribe and tongue? How did he know that they were of various people groups? Hmm. As I always say on this subject, some people are going to get one big shock when they get to heaven. It’s not like you can move to a ‘better’ neighbourhood or something!

• Peaceful Honesty says:

The third man who spoke in the video is almost cruel-looking. I had no idea that it was Geoff Botkin. And his comments on how rappers are cowardly and caving to popular culture, that was just harsh. It’s too judgmental. I can’t see Christ speaking like that, except to Pharisees. Jesus talks about Pharisees in Matthew 23:4 “They tie up heavy loads, hard to bear, and place them on men’s shoulders, but they themselves will not lift a finger to help bear them”. To these men, culture is religion. Who are they to judge where a person’s heart is? Scott Brown did post the apology from Geoff Botkin http://scottbrownonline.com/an-apology/ but it just reads a little forced, almost a legal out. :( I don’t think Mr. Botkin’s true opinion is any different than what he stated in the video.

Thank you, Anthea for mentioning all the people groups in heaven. Yes, it’s going to be glorious! I think these guys are going to fall on their faces in repentance when they get there, for judging so harshly.

• Michelle G. says:

Wow, what a completely uncalled for attack on Toby Mac. Unbelievably arrogant and ugly! Toby Mac is a fantastic artist who has been inspiring a couple generations now. He is the married father of five, and completely committed to serving the Lord through his music. How this guy can find fault in that is beyond me. Could it be jealousy? Toby has more hair and talent? I know it’s not on the basis of scripture! Who knows with these people, and thanks for posting this Karen.

• Hester says:

Unfortunately the NCFIC video is now unavailable. Makes me wonder what was said as I never got a chance to view it.

I also commented under the HA post about Andrew Pudewa. As I said there, the culture the Christian homeschool bubble creates is much, much narrower than just “classical music good, pop music bad.” They don’t even accept all forms of concert music, because of preconceptions about what “order” and “beauty” looks like in music. Usually this boils down to, if it doesn’t use a familiar harmonic progression (i.e., like the Baroque and Classical periods), it’s not “orderly” and since God is a God of order, it’s therefore bad. Same with beauty – if it sounds “dissonant” to them, it’s not “beautiful” ala Philippians 4:8 so it’s not of God. They’re usually still okay with the Romantic period but the Modern is pretty much considered one big act of rebellion from beginning to end.

Of course they can’t even keep this straight, because inevitably something modern comes along that they like and they’ll find a way to justify it even if it completely contradicts all of their earlier statements. Case in point: Benjamin Britten (d. 1976) wrote loads of beautiful and accessible sacred music. Problem for music fundies: he was openly gay. Solution: fail to mention that Britten was gay and hope no one notices, all while promoting his music anyway. They use this same strategy to okay Tchaikovsky and Aaron Copland (also gay).

• thatmom says:

They quickly took everything down…..made a hasty apology but didn’t confess to all the things that are so outrageous. Looking further in to Mr. Horn it was even more problematic. He is a key paler in the Family Integrated Church movement.

• Keith Blankenship says:

While sitting here listening to UB40 I glanced at this page. I have not listened to the critique of “reformed rap”, but it strikes me as unhelpful to all concerned to repeatedly mention the ethnicity and age of the members of the panel. Also, one need not be racist to dislike the rap genre.

Hester: I don’t know who these “Reformed Rap” performers are, but if they are of the stature of Britten, I would like to hear their music.

Now that I am a little worked up, I think I will listen to a little Arvo Paert.

Keith Blankenship

• Anthea says:

Check out the films that reveal views of the panellists. They really do think that Afro-Cuban/African/Afro-American culture is inherently inferior. Watch Dan Horn’s film about slavery linked in the post here — you’ll find it in the comments:

PS Love that 1980s Brit Reggae. I was so lucky to be a teenager in that era. If only I had realised it at the time.

PPS It’s not acceptable to give some church leader a free pass when he’s spouting ill-informed rubbish. They do not merely dislike rap, they condemn it as unholy.

PPPS Mentioning someone’s age or people group is important if it’s relevant. My hubby is a not-so-young white man — but he just bought some symbols on ebay, and was telling our daughter about Turkish metalwork and the Bible. He’s trying to learn how to play drums like a Berber or an Irishman, rather than elevating the classical Western tradition to a place of innate superiority.

• Keith Blankenship says:

Anthea:

I listen to a variety of music. Rap is not to my liking, but I have checked out Lecrae and another artist in the Reformed rap genre, i believe the name was Linne. The little I heard was very Biblical.

Re:Brit/Jamaican Reggae of the 1980′s, do you remember Pato Bamton, Toots, Yellowman? They sang and toasted. Even some stuff about loving one’s wife, getting married, not engaging in riotous behaviour. Pato’s Handsworth Riot is one of the best.

I like a lot of other music, cumbia, Salsa (La Excelencia is a good new band, now called Orquestra Salsa con Concienca (sorry for spelling). i also like Tango, Electrotango (Gotan Project, Otros Aires) minimalism (the saintly Arvo Paert). Still I think Bach has no equal.

As far as middle-aged men of European descent, I am just pushing back a bit. I am one, so i will stand up for our side. A lot of good in the world has come from Europe, and it is tiresome to hear complaints about “Old White Males”. Critique their views, not their immutable characteristics. I realise we are meant to be neutered, it just did not take with me.

NCFIC is not a denomination, as far as I can tell. My church is on the list, but my perception is that our congregation would not share the views expressed in the video. BTW, I hope my comment posts. I have been blocked/Modded at NCIFC and Jen’s Gems. This has never happened to me before on any blog, and is a little mysterious.

Do you like Ska? more music of my youth. The panelists in the video would probably excommunicate me based on my music preferences. (statement made in jest etc.)

• Anthea says:

I liked some ska, but not as much as hubby did. To be honest, we were so spoiled for choice in those days. Besides the stuff you have mentioned, there was disco and the Philly Sound (which my Daddy liked, so I got into that), and punk and the New Romantics, loads of Electro music like Depeche Mode and New Order and the other group — the one that did ‘Don’t you want me Baby?’ — what WERE they called? Of course, it was coming out of the UK, so when I went to the USA at 18 years old suddenly I was way cool, just because I was English! ‘You come from London? Do you know Duran Duran?”

You were blocked by NFCIC AND Jen’s Gems? That takes some doing!

• Keith Blankenship says:

Anthea:
    Sorry for the late reply. The band was Human League “Don’t You want me baby”. Ultravox…I remember listening to them on my Walkman on the beach near Cuxhaven, in 1982. I miss Europe, but read that a lot has changed.

Looks like I am again being permitted to post at Jen’s Gems. Jen seems like a nice person. have not tried back at NCFIC.

Now available!
on Amazon.com!

"In today's homeschooling world, you can find all sorts of formulas and prescriptions. If you just follow the correct method, your children will grow up to live godly lives, and they will always make family (including you) their priority. In this book, Karen Campbell gives you the real story. Homeschooling and parenting are not about formulas and prescriptions. They are about relationships. Weaving together Scripture, her own successes and failures, and her observations of the homeschooling world, Karen provides a wealth of wisdom for the homeschooling parent. If you want a formula, this book is not for you. If you want honest wisdom that will aid you in your homeschooling journey, this book is exactly what you are looking for!" – Dr. Jay Wile, PhD, speaker and author of the popular "Exploring Creation with" series of textbooks.
Promote Relationship Homeschooling!

Be sure to visit Relationship Homeschooling on Facebook!

Family Integrated Church podcasts
The Family Integrated Church ~ Are you frustrated in your search for a church home? Are you considering a family integrated church? The podcast series on the FIC movement is just for you! This series includes Pastor Shawn Mathis who explains the "theological basis" for the movement, Pastor Steve Doyle, who was once an FIC pastor and left the movement, and Bible scholar and author, Jon Zens, who looks at the underlying doctrines that permeate many FIC churches. The series concludes with thatmom's encouragement to homeschooling families as they seek to be part of the entire body of Christ. You will also want to read the series of articles on the pros and cons of the FIC and my exhortation to homeschooling families who are looking for a church home!
thatmom’s podcasts on iTunes
thatmom’s thoughts on curriculum

And you can learn about my thoughts on developing your own philosophy of education as well as finding the methods of homeschooling that work best for you and your children by

looking for my presentations on the Home Educating Family media site!
Three Cheers……..
MagazineTab200x467
truth from the Word
"Whom have I in heaven but You? And there is none upon earth that I desire besides You. My flesh and my heart fail; But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalm 73: 25-26
more truth from the Word
"Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you." ~ Ephesians 4:32
William Carey says:
"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter."
Tim Keller says:
"God’s love and forgiveness can pardon and restore any and every kind of sin or wrongdoing. It doesn’t matter who you are or what you’ve done. It doesn’t matter if you’ve deliberately oppressed or even murdered people, or how much you’ve abused yourself… There is no evil that the Father’s love cannot pardon and cover, there is no sin that is a match for his grace." ~ Tim Keller
Tim Keller also says:
“The Christian gospel is that I am so flawed that Jesus had to die for me, yet I am so loved and valued that Jesus was glad to die for me. This leads to deep humility and deep confidence at the same time. It undermines both swaggering and sniveling. I cannot feel superior to anyone, and yet I have nothing to prove to anyone. I do not think more of myself nor less of myself. Instead, I think of myself less.” ! Tim Keller in The Reason for God.
Oswald Chambers says:
"If we simply preach the effects of redemption in the human life instead of the revealed, divine truth regarding Jesus Himself, the result is not new birth in those who listen. The result is a refined religious lifestyle, and the Spirit of God cannot witness to it because such preaching is in a realm other than His." ~ Oswald Chambers
Phillip E. Johnson says:
“When pressed in interviews to name my heroes, I have spontaneously responded that they are homeschooling mothers! To me, the heroic mothers who nurture the next generation of faithful Christians are among the leaders of the church.” ~ Phillip E. Johnson
John Stonestreet says:
“C.S. Lewis said that for every new book we read, we ought to read three old ones. But I think for every latest, greatest new homeschooling book you read, go find three old homeschooling moms and ask them what happened and what worked.” ~ John Stonestreet
Carolyn Custis James says:
“The power of our theology comes alive when we take the truth personally. Holding God at arm’s length—no matter how much theology we think we know—will never make us great theologians. We have to learn to write our own names into the plot. God will always be the subject of our theological sentences but our sentences are incomplete until we make ourselves the direct objects of his attributes…..Simply knowing a lot of theological ideas, no matter how orthodox and sound they are, will never turn us into great theologians. Theology isn’t really theology for us until we live it. Not until we learn to make explicit connections between what we know about God and the race we are running will we taste the transforming power of our theology. Fixing our eyes on Jesus means reminding ourselves of all that He is to us now. He brings meaning to our routines and energizes us to tackle the difficult tasks at hand. Fixing our eyes on Jesus gives us hope to offer disheartened husbands and hurting friends, and the wisdom we need to raise children who will fix their eyes on Him, too.” ~ from Carolyn Custis James in When Life and Beliefs Collide
Anne Ortlund says:
“So what do we do to encourage them to grow inwardly, to become resourceful and creative, to think, to meditate, to lay the foundation for growing up well? Don’t push, but affirm them! Give them the sense that all is well, that their rate of progress is acceptable to you, that you like them just the way they are…..Guide them but be delighted in them. Let them know that life is to be reached for and drunk of deeply…..Enthusiastic, that’s how you want them to grow up! The word comes from “en Theo,” or “in God.” Support them with words of faith, hope, and love, and in that framework “in God,” they’ll be ready to tackle everything. Fears and cautions are built in at an early age but so is courage! Tomorrow’s world will be different if your child has been released to experiment, to risk, to lead others, to pursue righteousness, to be an affecter for good in society, to go courageously after God.” ~ Anne Ortlund in Children Are Wet Cement
J.C Ryle says:
"Kindness, gentleness, long-suffering, forbearance, patience, sympathy, a willingness to enter into childish troubles, a readiness to take part in childish joys, these are the cords by which a child may be led most easily, these are the clues you must follow if you would find the way to his heart." ~ J. C. Ryle in The Upper Room
Clay Clarkson says:
“Many Christian parents, myself included, tend to speak to children as though they were Pharisees. We can speak harshly and with judgment, implying by our manner that their hearts are hard and resistant. But this attitude is not justified by Scripture. There is no record of Jesus ever speaking to a a child in a harsh tone. When the Gospels record Him speaking to a child, it is always with gentleness. Our children are not our adversaries. Though our children’s hearts are corrupted by sin, they are not hardened sinners who have made conscious choices to reject the Savior. Our children are simply immature and childish. That’s why children need love and compassion, not harshness and guilt.” ~ Clay Clarkson in Heartfelt Discipline
Tim Kimmel says:
“Grace can’t be some abstract concept that you talk about in your home. It has to be a real-time action that ultimately imprints itself in your children’s hearts. To talk about grace, sing about grace, and have our children memorize verses about grace – but not give them specific gifts of grace – is to undermine God’s words of grace in their hearts. Grace means that God not only loves them but that He loves them uniquely and specially. The primary way to give our children grace is to offer it in place of our selfish preferences.” ~ Tim Kimmel in Grace-Based Parenting
Chuck Swindoll says:
"You want to mess up the minds of your children? Here's how - guaranteed! Rear them in a legalistic, tight context of external religion, where performance is more important than reality. Fake your faith. Sneak around and pretend your spirituality. Train your children to do the same. Embrace a long list of do's and don'ts publicly but hypocritically practice them privately...yet never own up to the fact that its hypocrisy. Act one way but live another. And you can count on it - emotional and spiritual damage will occur. "
Kathy Thile says:
"I say this gently, as the parent of grown kids, knowing *insert parenting guru* is also the parent of grown kids: we have wonderful children — he does, I’m sure — and so do I. But without even knowing his children I can know this about them: they are not perfect. They hurt. They make mistakes. They struggle. They are prideful and overly simplistic at times; and crippled by shame and hesitancy at others. Yes — they are beautiful examples of human beings, his children (I assume), and mine (I know.) But they are not perfect. If they were, they would not be human. If it were possible to raise children to perfection, then God would have sent a parenting method, not Jesus. Our marching orders are not to raise our children by a method to be like *insert parenting guru* children. Our marching orders are to be Christians to and with our children." ~ Kathy Thile
Anna Quindlen says:
“The biggest mistake I made is the one that most of us make while doing this. I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of the three of them sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages 6, 4 and 1. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less." ~ Anna Quindlen
Winston Churchill says:
“My education was interrupted only by my schooling." ~ Winston Churchill
John Taylor Gatto says:
"The shocking possibility that dumb people don’t exist in sufficient numbers to warrant the millions of careers devoted to tending them will seem incredible to you. Yet that is my central proposition: the mass dumbness which justifies official schooling first had to be dreamed of; it isn’t real." ~ John Taylor Gatto
Fred Rogers say:
“Play is often talked about as if it were a relief from serious learning. But for children play is serious learning. Play is really the work of childhood.” ~ Fred Rogers
thatmom says
"The truth is that the way a marriage becomes truly heavenly is for each husband and each wife to pursue, really pursue, a relationship with Jesus Christ, to commit to obey the Word of God, to set aside each of their own agendas and paradigms, and then as they walk in the Holy Spirit, as they are sanctified, a little at a time each day, they will grow closer to one another. Godly wisdom will manifest itself in purity, peace, gentleness, mercy, a willingness to submit to one another, the fruits of the spirit, and no role-playing (the true meaning of hypocrisy). (James 3:17)" ~ thatmom
thatmom says:
"We need to approach our children not as character projects, but rather, we must see them with hearts of sympathy, with compassion and understanding, and with ears that listen. You see, homeschooling is not about lesson plans and research papers and standardized tests. Homeschooling is about building a relationship with our children, friendships that will last our entire lives on earth and clear into eternity. Homeschooling is merely the tool whereby we build those relationships." ~ thatmom
thatmom knows:
As a homeschooling mom, I have realized that everything, ultimately, is outside of my own control. I have learned that the unique circumstances that happen in my family have occurred because God’s plan is so much bigger than my own. It is knowing this truth about God and in experiencing that truth with those in my home that has enabled us to face past challenges and that will prepare us for all those difficulties that still lie before us.
thatmom realizes:
If I think about 37 years of marriage, times the number of loads of laundry I have done for 2 parents, 6 children and 1 grandma, I am amazed to know that I have washed, dried, folded, (sometimes ironed) and put away roughly 27,526 loads of laundry. That is over 215,000 socks! Or, in that same amount of time, provided 38,324 meals for a family and sometimes guests. Or that I have overseen nearly 21,500 hours of education of one sort or another during that time. Just thinking of these numbers takes my breath away. ~ thatmom
thatmom says:
"Real books from the library, a tub of art supplies, being read stories rich in vocabulary, a variety of good music, the daily discussion of God’s Word and how it relates to the world around him, and the attention of a loving parent who includes him in all the activities of real life are the secrets to a great learning experience for children." ~ thatmom
thatmom says:
"Being a mom is sort of like being all the people who crowd into a basketball arena all at once. Sometimes we are the players, the ones who are responsible for everything that is going on and our presence is front and center. Sometimes we are the coaches, giving comfort and encouragement, instructing with a clipboard in hand. Other times we are the referees, no striped shirts required but whistles are a must to break up the disputes when the game isn’t played as per the rules. Still other times we are the fans, cheering wildly from the stands, shouting from a distance but not from the floor. And then there are the days when we are the cheerleaders, the ones who scream 'Yeah, you can do it.' " ~ thatmom
thatmom says:
“The beauty of homeschooling is building relationships within our families and inspiring our children to become lifelong learners, gently leading them into the truth of Scripture and trusting that the work we have begun will be brought to completion by a sovereign God who has a plan for building His heavenly kingdom.” ~ thatmom
thatmom says:
"A family that embraces a paradigm becomes lazy and doesn’t study the Word of God for themselves. They take what others state as gospel. They have to check in with the “expert” blogs to see how so and so is doing it. It requires little effort and, truthfully, little leadership on the part of the parents. Dads who think they are turning the hearts of their children to themselves are really turning the hearts of their children to the dad’s gurus!" ~ thatmom
thatmom also says:
“After parenting for 36 years, I have come to realize that all paradigms are basically a list of do’s and don’ts that someone has created. Instead of embracing a list, I have discovered that it is best for me to run all ideas, philosophies, and paradigms through my “one-anothering hopper.” I ask myself if the suggestions or ideas I am hearing will serve to build my relationships or will serve to tear them down; will they reflect the one-anothering commands of Scripture? I ask if they are a picture of Christ and His relationship with me as His needy daughter. If not, I am not interested, no matter how much appeal they might have for any number of reasons.” ~ thatmom
thatmom says this, too:
“The word wisdom is used in Exodus to describe the knowledge that the Lord gave to the skilled artisans so they could make Aaron’s garments for worship. We are told that these workers “were given wisdom and understanding in knowledge and all manner of workmanship.” I have never had to sew any garments for a priest to wear for worship. I have not had to sew any draperies or build any walls or prepare any inner sanctuary as per the Lord’s instructions. But I have been called to give all I can toward the goal of building up children in the faith, preparing children for life outside my home, children whose bodies, we are told, are called the very temple of the Holy Spirit, children whose job it is to worship in spirit and in truth." ~ thatmom
what does thatmom believe?
" What is thy only comfort in life and death? "That I, with body and soul, both in life and death, am not my own, but belong unto my faithful Savior Jesus Christ; who, with His precious blood, has fully satisfied for all my sins, and delivered me from all the power of the devil; and so preserves me that without the will of my heavenly Father, not a hair can fall from my head; yea, that all things must be subservient to my salvation, and therefore, by his Holy Spirit, He also assures me of eternal life, and makes me sincerely willing and ready, henceforth, to live unto him." ~ Heidelberg Catechism
What does it mean to be a Christian?

1.We must acknowledge that we are all sinners. “For we are all become as one that is unclean, and all our righteousnesses are as a polluted garment: and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, take us away. (Isaiah 64:6) and “All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” (Romans 3:23)

2.We are all accountable for our own sins before God. “For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may receive what is due for what he has done in the body, whether good or evil.” (2 Corinthians 5:10)

3.There is only one way to be forgiven of these sins and that is through the blood of Jesus Christ. “Jesus said, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” (John 14:6)

4.If we confess our sin to the Lord and repent of it (not allow it to rule in our lives) we can be forgiven and be in right standing with God. “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousenss.” (1 John 1:9)

5.Genuine salvation will result in living lives of good works but none of those works contribute in any way to our standing before God which is based solely and completely on the finished work of Jesus Christ on the cross. “But when Christ had offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins, He sat down at the right hand of God. (Hebrews 10:12) and “Not by works of righteousness which we have done but according to His mercy He saved us by the washing of regeneration and the renewing of the Holy Spirit. (Titus 3:5) and “For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God.” (Ephesians 2:8)

6.We all, men and women, boys and girls, have direct access to the throne of grace because everyone who is a born-again believer in Jesus Christ is called a “priest and king” in God’s economy. “But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for His own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light.” (I Peter 2:9)

I believe that many of the false teachings within the patriocentric movement are in direct contrast to these Scriptures and I would encourage each of us to first examine what we believe about Jesus and His work on the cross, its implications and its marvelous power.

Secondly, I would challenge anyone reading here to examine your own heart and ask yourself whether you have been trusting in good works….baptism, homeschooling, church attendance, modest dress, the list goes on and on, or if you have placed ALL your faith and hope in Jesus’ blood and righteousness alone.

And finally, I would challenge you to examine the teachings within your own church system, whether it is Protestant, Greek Orthodox, Roman Catholic, etc. Ask yourself what your church teaches about ecclesiastical authority and family authority. Does it line up with the Word of God? It is a top down system that requires certain works in exchange for a relationship with Jesus Christ or do you have the assurance that you are saved for eternity by His death on the cross in your stead? Does it teach that the fruits of the spirit and obedience to all the one anothers is what our lives will demonstrate or is there a list of man made rules?

If you desire to talk with me about this, please send me a note to shesthatmom@gmail.com. My desire is that no one who visits this website will leave without knowing the glorious truth that we can have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and can enjoy a life filled with His goodness and grace!