real encouragement for real homeschool moms

36 Responses to the sin of shyness and other thoughts from Voddie Baucham

• Granddad says:

I could not finish listening to this! The very thought that he was going to say the shyness was a sin was too much. I didn’t want to actually hear the words.

My daughter recounted on her blog early last year that her husband had to come home and spend a couple of hours disciplining their daughter (I think she was 6 at the time). . .and this included multiple spankings. (She stopped blogging a couple of months ago.) I found numerous references to this episode on non-Christian blogs and the comments were pretty ugly. And where did this all come from? Voddie Baucham!

Whatever else Rev. Baucham teaches (and he does teach some really good stuff) the kind of outrageous nonsense he espouses here tarnishes the good irreparably. The combination of VF and Rev. Baucham is what prompted me to to write my article on VF’s Tenets of Biblical Patriarchy

Folks, you and I may disagree on a few things here, but I can assure you that I find this utterly reprehensible. And I feel quite confident in saying that the majority of my Calvinistic brethren (Reformed & Presbyterian) feel the same.

• Jerzy says:

If he’s going to stand there and make my child do what I said, he’s going to be standing there for a very long time!
    Jesus never stood there until people did what He said.
    I weep for the children who fall under this kind of parenting.
    What a merciless piece of advice. If you’re a parent, throw it out!

• Pressing On says:

Whoa. That was upsetting. So much for seeking the heart of your child, and working with them towards reasonable, age-appropriate behaviors. One of mine was indeed a tough-minded little preschooler, but he was also so tender-hearted that being after him all day would have been a disaster.

• Kris says:

This was upsetting. So he is saying that an introvert who is typically shy, the wiring God gave them, is a sin? I have been that type of person all my life although as I’ve gotten older have come out of that some. Yes, kids need to be polite, but you don’t punish them, teach them and shyness is not a sin! This is misguided advice! The spanking often thing does not work either, it makes kids more angry. As they get older spankings are not always needed. Natural and painful consequences often take their course. But this kind of discipline is nuts….

• I actually have liked quite a few of the things that Voddie has taught on. However, I don’t think that my children needed numerous spankings, everyday, for the majority of their lives. There were a few days where we might have hit the “5 spankings before breakfast”, but spanking is not the only form of discipline. It might be necessary at times, but even Jesus dealt with each person in the best way for their sin or personality. Maybe we should learn from that and do the same.

I will say on the shyness that I think the sin is the idea that it’s OK to be rude to people. I’ve had extroverted and introverted children in my family. Those that naturally gravitated toward people were still taught manners. Being out going DOES NOT mean you know how to be polite and hospitable. By the same token, being an introvert DOES NOT mean it is OK to be rude and ignore people if they say hello to you. I’ve seen so many young parents allow their children to be rude in the name of shyness. I might not go so far as saying shyness is a sin, and I wouldn’t agree with spanking them until they said “hello”. However, I will say that one of the requirements of an elder is that they show hospitality. If that’s a requirement for an elder, then doesn’t it behoove us as parents to use that standard for raising our own children? They can learn to at least put their hand out, shake it, and say “hello” to someone rather than getting their own way and ignoring the individual. Shyness and introverted should not be disguised as being rude. The funny thing is, after working for several years on my most shy child she has now become our most outgoing. Let’s remember that we are all ambassadors for Christ – hospitality is the way to open doors of opportunity.

• Sigh.

I don’t even know where to begin.

As the mother of a highly sensitive child who HATES shaking hands with strange people on demand, I’m going to have to write my own post about this one. I hope you don’t mind that I use the same video, Karen.

I was just reading this morning from the start of “The Highly Sensitive Child” and wow. I pity any sensitive child whose parents listen to this advice. If we had followed his advice with Caroline, our family relationships would have been RUINED. DESTROYED.

• Susan T says:

Prairie Momma -

I would say that part of showing hospitality is having good manners and good manners are a way of showing other people we care about them and I would not expect a child to instantly be good at this with every stranger they meet. And certainly if good manners are a way of making other people comfortable, we can start with our children and make them comfortable as an example of how to do this…they tend to mirror our actions. And back to the “stranger” thing… I was always thankful my children were reserved around strangers – I figured that they couldn’t easily be taken in by strangers in other settings or when I wasn’t around.

No – just because something is required of an elder doesn’t mean it’s required of the rest of us. Elders are called and set apart. Not everyone is an elder or deacon or teacher, etc….

Here is an address for link I saw this morning about shy children/child development…

• thatmom says:

Sallie, please post a link to your article here when you have written it! I think this is a really important topic.

• fiddlrts says:

It is bad enough that the Church seems to insist on leaders all being extroverts. To equate introversion (at a YOUNG age, no less) with ungodliness is just cruel. I am introverted, although I am a reasonably friendly guy. This approach, had it been tried on the young me, would have been a complete disaster. Nothing like upping the anxiety level, and associating interaction with strangers with punishment to make the problem worse. Baucham seems to completely lack any ability to empathize with those who are not, like him, a strong extrovert.

• fiddlrts says:

Oh, and “You need to pay more attention to me than I pay to you” is the sort of thing an immature, life-sucking version of an extrovert says to the introverts around him. No, Voddie, the world does not revolve around you, and people do not exist to feed your need to be the center of attention. Not even your kids.

• Adam says:

If I may, I don’t think that Voddie is equating shyness with sin, per se. His main complaint about the shy child in the scenario that he gave is that he is disobeying his parents. His parents tell him to say hello to Dr. Baucham, and he runs and hides behind his parent’s leg.

What is going on here is a phenomenon I have called “solus pater” [the father alone] as opposed to “sola scriptura” [scripture alone]. The Christian Patriarchy movement, because of their oversimplifications of scripture, has taken statements about the authority of parents, and not understood them in the context of the entire value system of scripture, and unintentionally forced the child into a position of idolatry. That can be most clearly seen in Voddie’s statement that the child’s world revolves around the parent. That statement is the clearest example of solus pater.

For example, let us take Voddie’s argument that the shy child is being disobedient to his parents, and thus breaking the fifth commandment. The fifth commandment must be understood in the context of the first four commandments, which set up God as the ultimate authority over all. Hence, when the parent tells the child to contradict what God has said, and that parent seeks to make himself what the child’s world revolves around, he has forced his child to break the first commandment, and has done so by accusing him of breaking the fifth commandment. Even Paul, when he gives the command for children to obey their parents, says that they must do so “in the Lord.” However, this does not mean simply that the parent can force the child to do anything he wants, so long as it doesn’t contradict any of the commands of scripture. If the parent commands something that is contrary to the entire *value system* of scripture itself, then he is forcing the child to commit idolatry.

Let us use another example. Let us say that a child is bothering his parent, and the parent tells him to go outside. However, the child just stays there, and doesn’t listen. The father tells him again, and, again, the child doesn’t listen. Then, the father thinks that he must spank this child, so he walks over, goes to take the child over his knee, and while he is doing that, he looks up, and to his horror is a copperhead snake right at the doorway. Had that child listened to his father, and went outside, he would have been dead. Now, the child disobeyed his parent, but for good reason. He did so in order to obey the command to protect human life, which the Bible clearly views as more important than whether or not the parent is obeyed. This, of course, has interesting implications for marriage as well, especially when it comes to some of these teachings, such as militant fecundity, which can be threatening to the life of a woman. The authority of the father must be understood, not only in terms of the actual commands given in scripture, but the value systems given in scripture. When the father sets himself up over the value system found in scripture, even if he is not asking someone to contradict a black and white command, he has sinned.

Let us return to Voddie Baucham’s scenario. There is one fact that struck me the moment I heard all of this, and that is that Voddie Baucham used to be a football player. He is a *huge* man physically, and he is *not* someone you would want to get in a fight with in a back ally. Do you not think that a little child might be the slightest bit afraid and intimidated in such a situation? And if he is afraid, do you not think he is obeying the Biblical command to protect his own well-being by hiding behind his parent’s leg? You see, if the rod were actually used for what it was supposed to be used for, in this situation, the child would need reassurance that everything was okay, and that no one was going to harm him. Such would be the kind of discipline and teaching he would need at that moment. However, recognizing such would mean thinking of what God has said first, and not making the child’s world revolve around you.

We also have to deal with other problems as well such as autism or Asperger’s Syndrome. There are some children who may be highly intelligent, but may have certain neurological disorders, such as autism or Asperger’s Syndrome, which makes it hard for them to interact in social situations. In such a situation, the child is not being “disobedient” or “rebellious;” the child has a disorder, and that disorder makes him unable to comply with the command itself. In such a situation, spanking the child teaches them nothing, since the treatment for autism and Asperger’s is ongoing, and not something that can be cured by spanking a child once. It would be like a parent telling a child with schizophrenia to stop having hallucinations, and then spanking him when he doesn’t stop having those hallucinations. Such is utterly foolish, and does not recognize where the child needs to be taught, and how the child needs to be taught, again, completely ignoring the rod as a tool of discipline, not a tool to get the child to do what you want him to do.

• Susan T, that was a great article by Dr. Sears. I especially appreciated his first three points. He also makes a great distinction when he talked about his own wife as being shy (introverted as well, it sounds like), but it’s obvious she was not rude. Voddie goes too far in demanding that a child will respond to him, and as I’ve met the man myself, he IS intimidating!! I do think that we are lacking in training our children to be polite – whether they are naturally shy or not – politeness can be trained like anything else – as Dr. Sears alludes to. It just takes practice and stretching.

I also would not expect a child to be good or perfect at being hospitable when they first start out any more than I would expect a 6 year old to master algebraic equations. I also don’t think that our children should be expected to HAVE all the requirements of an elder, but I do think it’s a great list of traits and behaviors that we can aim for in training our children – whether or not they ever become elders (which our daughters never would anyway), but since GOD never said the elders were the only ones who should have those traits, we simply looked at those points as goals to work toward.

I enjoyed your thoughts and the article link.

• Laura (old OR vintage) says:

American Christianity puts being an extrovert at the top of their “New List of Virtues”. This runs counter to the fact that we are all created with different personalities and gifts, and certainly runs counter to ancient, or orthodox, Christianity that placed great value on contemplation and quiet.

Since joining a liturgical denomination, I have been refreshed by the renewed emphasis on a quieter reverence. I am an introvert (though not at all shy), and this is a good place for me. A more extroverted Christian might be more suited to the Evangelical , outgoing style.

I would HIGHLY recommend a book by a Presbyterian pastor named Adam McHugh called “Introverts in the Church”. It’s great stuff and really spells out the issue, which is a problem for lots of introverts in the church today. (I am not a Presbyterian, if you are curious :)

Regarding a little kid hiding behind his/her parents leg, gee whiz. I think that has been done once or twice in human history! Maybe with all the weirdness happening in churches , we should be glad that they look to us for safety and not push them beyond what they can handle at a young age!

Blessings to all!

• Jack Brooks says:

This sort of stuff is an example of why I’m not pursuing a D.Min at Southern Baptist Seminary (90 minutes from my house), and am enrolling at Asbury Theological Seminary instead, even though I am a 4.5 point Calvinist.

• Anthea says:

Hello Karen

Re Grandad’s comment:

“Whatever else Rev. Baucham teaches (and he does teach some really good stuff) the kind of outrageous nonsense he espouses here tarnishes the good irreparably.”

This reminded me of something which I wanted to ask you about. It’s a home educating question, really: If a book is recommended as part of a home ed curriculum, but you do not respect the views of the author, should you bother with the book? I am not referring to Mr Baucham, but to another author. You see, I am prepared to make an extra effort to find an alternative text for that subject area, because I cannot bear the views of tha author, and for me it “tarnishes the good irreperably”. I have read other people recommend that we “eat the meat and spit out the bones”, but given that many curriculum providers and homeschool advocates promote the idea of excellence, and Christian values, then how can I say, “This book gives great advice on X, but don’t listen to anything else the author has say about the topic.”

BTW, the writer did not make me cautious because of anything to do with patriocentricity/spiritual abuse/theological weirdyweirdness.

Hope this makes sense. I do know other home educating mothers, but none as experienced as you are, so I thought I’d run it by you.

• Anthea says:

Typo:

I meant: How can I say to my children,”This book gives great advice…” etc.

And they let me teach my children!

• thatmom says:

Adam, initially that is how I interpreted what he was saying but after watching a few more times think he is saying that shyness is a sin. And it fits the other things I have heard him say about women having gentle and quiet spirits. As so many do in the patriocentric world, they confuse inner peace and quiet in the spirit with an outward personality that is also quiet. Makes me wonder if a grown woman where to step behind her husband and drop her eyes and not speak to Mr. Baucham if that would be seen as sin or a virtue.

• thatmom says:

“This is yet another example of how the more patriarchal, or fundamentalist, brothers and sisters in Christ are always trying to create new categories of “sin”, or “un-Biblical behavior”.”

Yes, sigh, this makes me tired.

• thatmom says:

Jack, so glad about this. SBTS seems to have turned into the mother ship of the SGM and patriarchy weirdness crowd. I do not believe at all that this used to be the case but the latest SGM stuff that is being ignored by their leadership is so alarming.

• thatmom says:

Anthea, I am not sure there is any book, save the Bible, that doesn’t have questionable parts. However, I think the “eat the meat and spit out the bones” admonition is naive. All true and good things can be found other places so trying to ignore things you already know are wrong doesn’t seem good. When kids get into high school they need to be exposed to false teachings through books like those published and sold through Summit Ministries for the purpose of identifying philosophies that contrast with being a Christian. There is plenty of time to do that later…with little ones, skip those things and come back to them later and avoid materials that bring up things your children are too young to sort through at this time. Kids are sharp and they will also ask the same questions you are asking yourself!

• Anthea says:

Thank you, Karen. What a prompt reply!

Ironically, they wouldn’t be using the book for a few years, but another mother is emigrating, so we are chatting through which books she’d like to pack up for her move abroad. And when I looked at the choices for a couple of years down the road, I was a bit gobsmacked to find that author on there. I don’t want to mention who it is, because it is about what *I* am/am not happy to present to the our children as admirable. Your advice confirmed my motherly instincts. Isn’t it great to have that at our disposal?

• Anthea says:

Jack, you are SO lucky to be at Asbury! Isn’t that where the mighty Craig Keener is teaching? What he doesn’t know about NT culture and the Bible … I have his IVP guide to the NT, which for a laywoman like me is an invaluable reference for all those questions that come up.

• Aly k says:

Thank you for posting this. I was a shy child. I’m not necessarily an introvert, though. I love being around people, it just takes me a while to warm up to them. Once I am comfortable I talk a lot if a conversation interests me but I’m still not all that good with small talk. My parents handled my shyness very well. I don’t remember them ever punishing it. But they gently encouraged me to overcome my fears. I have a couple children who have the same tendencies and I do not punish them for it. And it irritates me to no end when people comment on it right in front of them. It breaks my heart that some moms (especially homeschooling moms) will see this and start disciplining their little ones for it.

And as a “reformed” Christian it pisses me off to no end that these neo-reformed, calvanistas are giving reformed theology a bad name. I do not identify with these people at all and am appalled by most of what they say.

• Granddad says:

@Aky k

It ticks me off as well. I have gotten in a few heated on-line discussions with folks who have developed an extremely distorted view of Reformation theology. And I really get angry when someones says, “You believe, such-and-such.” First of all, how can you tell me what I believe, and second, I believe no such thing.

Doug Wilson, Doug Phillips, Voddie Baucham, Kevin Swanson, etc. do not speak for most Calvinists (reformed, Presbyterian, Baptist). As you said, these guys really give us “regular Calvinists” a bad name.

• H says:

I was such a shy child. While my parents did encourage me to come out of my shell and be more comfortable interacting with people, they certainly never forced me. I’ll never forget the day my mother told me I didn’t have accept unwanted embraces from family friends. My mother heard my discomfort and took it seriously, allowing me the freedom to set boundaries I felt comfortable with. I felt safe knowing she cared more abut me than the opinions of other people. I would have been devastated if my parents tried to spank me into unwanted social interaction and I cringe to think of what children who actually live through this must feel. How are they not terrified at the inability to say no?

• thatmom says:

In the past couple of days we have discussed the concept of shyness among children and the notion some have that this is either bad behavior or sin itself and needs to be corrected. This discussion is so great because it really showed how uniquely we are each created. As people were sharing their own experiences as growing up as introverts and the horror they would have felt being expected to become more extrovert in their behaviors, I had to laugh. I had just the opposite experience! I was born an extrovert and being an only child, I saw the world as my stage and everyone as my audience! And I always wanted to pull anyone onto that stage with me! I LOVE people! My mom who was very much an introvert really struggled with my personality and I was repeatedly told that extroverted behavior was bad behavior. This has only been reinforced by the patriocentrists out there who tell us that a woman having a “gentle and quiet spirit” means having a personality to match and condemning outgoing and, dare I say, natural leadership (take charge) propensities! So often natural personality differences and spiritual giftings are labeled as sin when in fact they are not. The solution? I think perhaps it has been podcasts! :0

• Anthea says:

I tell my children, “If we were all the same, life would be borin’ .” We NEED different sorts of people in the world.

BTW, I taught secondary school for 12 years (!) and guess what? Despite all the jiggery pokery of PHSE lessons and assemblies and group drama and all that supposedly wonderful socialisation that my children are missing — all the children took after their parents! Schools can’t do what people think they can do.

Moreover, there is a common misunderstanding that quietness = weakness or inadequacy. Most of the quieter children I taught were reflective, observant and very strong. They had other things to do besides talking. As a gobby East Londoner, I rather liked having that sort of child around.

• “Moreover, there is a common misunderstanding that quietness = weakness or inadequacy. Most of the quieter children I taught were reflective, observant and very strong.”

This.

As someone who is strongly introverted (but not shy), I will say something when I have something to say. I’m busy thinking and reflecting which is why I’m usually pretty quiet in something like a Bible study. When I’ve finished synthesizing everything I’m processing, I’ll usually open my mouth and say something profound. Otherwise my mind is too busy to be answering every little question that the leader throws out there.

(Do you sense some background story to this answer? Yes.)

• Lana says:

I laughed. That is the only way I could handle his absurd claims. As influenced as my parents were by the homeschool/patriarchal culture, thankfully endless spanking was not one of them.

now available!!!
on Amazon.com!

"In today's homeschooling world, you can find all sorts of formulas and prescriptions. If you just follow the correct method, your children will grow up to live godly lives, and they will always make family (including you) their priority. In this book, Karen Campbell gives you the real story. Homeschooling and parenting are not about formulas and prescriptions. They are about relationships. Weaving together Scripture, her own successes and failures, and her observations of the homeschooling world, Karen provides a wealth of wisdom for the homeschooling parent. If you want a formula, this book is not for you. If you want honest wisdom that will aid you in your homeschooling journey, this book is exactly what you are looking for!" – Dr. Jay Wile, PhD, speaker and author of the popular "Exploring Creation with" series of textbooks. 5856-3733-6823-3495 5856-3733-6823-3495
Promote Relationship Homeschooling!

Be sure to visit Relationship Homeschooling on Facebook!

thatmom’s podcasts on iTunes
Family Integrated Church podcasts
The Family Integrated Church ~ Are you frustrated in your search for a church home? Are you considering a family integrated church? The podcast series on the FIC movement is just for you! This series includes Pastor Shawn Mathis who explains the "theological basis" for the movement, Pastor Steve Doyle, who was once an FIC pastor and left the movement, and Bible scholar and author, Jon Zens, who looks at the underlying doctrines that permeate many FIC churches. The series concludes with thatmom's encouragement to homeschooling families as they seek to be part of the entire body of Christ. You will also want to read the series of articles on the pros and cons of the FIC and my exhortation to homeschooling families who are looking for a church home!
thatmom’s thoughts on curriculum

And you can learn about my thoughts on developing your own philosophy of education as well as finding the methods of homeschooling that work best for you and your children by

looking for my presentations on the Home Educating Family media site!
Three Cheers……..
MagazineTab200x467
truth from the Word
"Whom have I in heaven but You? And there is none upon earth that I desire besides You. My flesh and my heart fail; But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalm 73: 25-26
Phillip E. Johnson says:
“When pressed in interviews to name my heroes, I have spontaneously responded that they are homeschooling mothers! To me, the heroic mothers who nurture the next generation of faithful Christians are among the leaders of the church.” ~ Phillip E. Johnson
John Stonestreet says:
“C.S. Lewis said that for every new book we read, we ought to read three old ones. But I think for every latest, greatest new homeschooling book you read, go find three old homeschooling moms and ask them what happened and what worked.” ~ John Stonestreet
Oswald Chambers says:
"If we simply preach the effects of redemption in the human life instead of the revealed, divine truth regarding Jesus Himself, the result is not new birth in those who listen. The result is a refined religious lifestyle, and the Spirit of God cannot witness to it because such preaching is in a realm other than His." ~ Oswald Chambers
Carolyn Custis James says:
“The power of our theology comes alive when we take the truth personally. Holding God at arm’s length—no matter how much theology we think we know—will never make us great theologians. We have to learn to write our own names into the plot. God will always be the subject of our theological sentences but our sentences are incomplete until we make ourselves the direct objects of his attributes…..Simply knowing a lot of theological ideas, no matter how orthodox and sound they are, will never turn us into great theologians. Theology isn’t really theology for us until we live it. Not until we learn to make explicit connections between what we know about God and the race we are running will we taste the transforming power of our theology. Fixing our eyes on Jesus means reminding ourselves of all that He is to us now. He brings meaning to our routines and energizes us to tackle the difficult tasks at hand. Fixing our eyes on Jesus gives us hope to offer disheartened husbands and hurting friends, and the wisdom we need to raise children who will fix their eyes on Him, too.” ~ from Carolyn Custis James in When Life and Beliefs Collide
William Carey says:
"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter."
Tim Keller says:
"God’s love and forgiveness can pardon and restore any and every kind of sin or wrongdoing. It doesn’t matter who you are or what you’ve done. It doesn’t matter if you’ve deliberately oppressed or even murdered people, or how much you’ve abused yourself… There is no evil that the Father’s love cannot pardon and cover, there is no sin that is a match for his grace." ~ Tim Keller
Tim Keller also says:
“The Christian gospel is that I am so flawed that Jesus had to die for me, yet I am so loved and valued that Jesus was glad to die for me. This leads to deep humility and deep confidence at the same time. It undermines both swaggering and sniveling. I cannot feel superior to anyone, and yet I have nothing to prove to anyone. I do not think more of myself nor less of myself. Instead, I think of myself less.” ! Tim Keller in The Reason for God.
Anne Ortlund says:
“So what do we do to encourage them to grow inwardly, to become resourceful and creative, to think, to meditate, to lay the foundation for growing up well? Don’t push, but affirm them! Give them the sense that all is well, that their rate of progress is acceptable to you, that you like them just the way they are…..Guide them but be delighted in them. Let them know that life is to be reached for and drunk of deeply…..Enthusiastic, that’s how you want them to grow up! The word comes from “en Theo,” or “in God.” Support them with words of faith, hope, and love, and in that framework “in God,” they’ll be ready to tackle everything. Fears and cautions are built in at an early age but so is courage! Tomorrow’s world will be different if your child has been released to experiment, to risk, to lead others, to pursue righteousness, to be an affecter for good in society, to go courageously after God.” ~ Anne Ortlund in Children Are Wet Cement
J.C Ryle says:
"Kindness, gentleness, long-suffering, forbearance, patience, sympathy, a willingness to enter into childish troubles, a readiness to take part in childish joys, these are the cords by which a child may be led most easily, these are the clues you must follow if you would find the way to his heart." ~ J. C. Ryle in The Upper Room
Kathy Thile says:
"I say this gently, as the parent of grown kids, knowing *insert parenting guru* is also the parent of grown kids: we have wonderful children — he does, I’m sure — and so do I. But without even knowing his children I can know this about them: they are not perfect. They hurt. They make mistakes. They struggle. They are prideful and overly simplistic at times; and crippled by shame and hesitancy at others. Yes — they are beautiful examples of human beings, his children (I assume), and mine (I know.) But they are not perfect. If they were, they would not be human. If it were possible to raise children to perfection, then God would have sent a parenting method, not Jesus. Our marching orders are not to raise our children by a method to be like *insert parenting guru* children. Our marching orders are to be Christians to and with our children." ~ Kathy Thile
Clay Clarkson says:
“Many Christian parents, myself included, tend to speak to children as though they were Pharisees. We can speak harshly and with judgment, implying by our manner that their hearts are hard and resistant. But this attitude is not justified by Scripture. There is no record of Jesus ever speaking to a a child in a harsh tone. When the Gospels record Him speaking to a child, it is always with gentleness. Our children are not our adversaries. Though our children’s hearts are corrupted by sin, they are not hardened sinners who have made conscious choices to reject the Savior. Our children are simply immature and childish. That’s why children need love and compassion, not harshness and guilt.” ~ Clay Clarkson in Heartfelt Discipline
Tim Kimmel says:
“Grace can’t be some abstract concept that you talk about in your home. It has to be a real-time action that ultimately imprints itself in your children’s hearts. To talk about grace, sing about grace, and have our children memorize verses about grace – but not give them specific gifts of grace – is to undermine God’s words of grace in their hearts. Grace means that God not only loves them but that He loves them uniquely and specially. The primary way to give our children grace is to offer it in place of our selfish preferences.” ~ Tim Kimmel in Grace-Based Parenting
Chuck Swindoll says:
"You want to mess up the minds of your children? Here's how - guaranteed! Rear them in a legalistic, tight context of external religion, where performance is more important than reality. Fake your faith. Sneak around and pretend your spirituality. Train your children to do the same. Embrace a long list of do's and don'ts publicly but hypocritically practice them privately...yet never own up to the fact that its hypocrisy. Act one way but live another. And you can count on it - emotional and spiritual damage will occur. "
Anna Quindlen says:
“The biggest mistake I made is the one that most of us make while doing this. I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of the three of them sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages 6, 4 and 1. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less." ~ Anna Quindlen
Winston Churchill says:
“My education was interrupted only by my schooling." ~ Winston Churchill
John Taylor Gatto says:
"The shocking possibility that dumb people don’t exist in sufficient numbers to warrant the millions of careers devoted to tending them will seem incredible to you. Yet that is my central proposition: the mass dumbness which justifies official schooling first had to be dreamed of; it isn’t real." ~ John Taylor Gatto
Fred Rogers say:
“Play is often talked about as if it were a relief from serious learning. But for children play is serious learning. Play is really the work of childhood.” ~ Fred Rogers
thatmom says
"The truth is that the way a marriage becomes truly heavenly is for each husband and each wife to pursue, really pursue, a relationship with Jesus Christ, to commit to obey the Word of God, to set aside each of their own agendas and paradigms, and then as they walk in the Holy Spirit, as they are sanctified, a little at a time each day, they will grow closer to one another. Godly wisdom will manifest itself in purity, peace, gentleness, mercy, a willingness to submit to one another, the fruits of the spirit, and no role-playing (the true meaning of hypocrisy). (James 3:17)" ~ thatmom
thatmom says:
"We need to approach our children not as character projects, but rather, we must see them with hearts of sympathy, with compassion and understanding, and with ears that listen. You see, homeschooling is not about lesson plans and research papers and standardized tests. Homeschooling is about building a relationship with our children, friendships that will last our entire lives on earth and clear into eternity. Homeschooling is merely the tool whereby we build those relationships." ~ thatmom
thatmom knows:
As a homeschooling mom, I have realized that everything, ultimately, is outside of my own control. I have learned that the unique circumstances that happen in my family have occurred because God’s plan is so much bigger than my own. It is knowing this truth about God and in experiencing that truth with those in my home that has enabled us to face past challenges and that will prepare us for all those difficulties that still lie before us.
thatmom says:
"Real books from the library, a tub of art supplies, being read stories rich in vocabulary, a variety of good music, the daily discussion of God’s Word and how it relates to the world around him, and the attention of a loving parent who includes him in all the activities of real life are the secrets to a great learning experience for children." ~ thatmom
thatmom realizes:
If I think about nearly 40 years of marriage, times the number of loads of laundry I have done for 2 parents, 6 children and 1 grandma, I am amazed to know that I have washed, dried, folded, (sometimes ironed) and put away roughly 27,526 loads of laundry. That is over 215,000 socks! Or, in that same amount of time, provided 38,324 meals for a family and sometimes guests. Or that I have overseen nearly 21,500 hours of education of one sort or another during that time. Just thinking of these numbers takes my breath away. ~ thatmom
thatmom says:
"Being a mom is sort of like being all the people who crowd into a basketball arena all at once. Sometimes we are the players, the ones who are responsible for everything that is going on and our presence is front and center. Sometimes we are the coaches, giving comfort and encouragement, instructing with a clipboard in hand. Other times we are the referees, no striped shirts required but whistles are a must to break up the disputes when the game isn’t played as per the rules. Still other times we are the fans, cheering wildly from the stands, shouting from a distance but not from the floor. And then there are the days when we are the cheerleaders, the ones who scream 'Yeah, you can do it.' " ~ thatmom
thatmom says:
“The beauty of homeschooling is building relationships within our families and inspiring our children to become lifelong learners, gently leading them into the truth of Scripture and trusting that the work we have begun will be brought to completion by a sovereign God who has a plan for building His heavenly kingdom.” ~ thatmom
thatmom also says:
“After parenting for 36 years, I have come to realize that all paradigms are basically a list of do’s and don’ts that someone has created. Instead of embracing a list, I have discovered that it is best for me to run all ideas, philosophies, and paradigms through my “one-anothering hopper.” I ask myself if the suggestions or ideas I am hearing will serve to build my relationships or will serve to tear them down; will they reflect the one-anothering commands of Scripture? I ask if they are a picture of Christ and His relationship with me as His needy daughter. If not, I am not interested, no matter how much appeal they might have for any number of reasons.” ~ thatmom
thatmom says this, too:
“The word wisdom is used in Exodus to describe the knowledge that the Lord gave to the skilled artisans so they could make Aaron’s garments for worship. We are told that these workers “were given wisdom and understanding in knowledge and all manner of workmanship.” I have never had to sew any garments for a priest to wear for worship. I have not had to sew any draperies or build any walls or prepare any inner sanctuary as per the Lord’s instructions. But I have been called to give all I can toward the goal of building up children in the faith, preparing children for life outside my home, children whose bodies, we are told, are called the very temple of the Holy Spirit, children whose job it is to worship in spirit and in truth." ~ thatmom
what does thatmom believe?
" What is thy only comfort in life and death? "That I, with body and soul, both in life and death, am not my own, but belong unto my faithful Savior Jesus Christ; who, with His precious blood, has fully satisfied for all my sins, and delivered me from all the power of the devil; and so preserves me that without the will of my heavenly Father, not a hair can fall from my head; yea, that all things must be subservient to my salvation, and therefore, by his Holy Spirit, He also assures me of eternal life, and makes me sincerely willing and ready, henceforth, to live unto him." ~ Heidelberg Catechism
What does it mean to be a Christian?

1.We must acknowledge that we are all sinners. “For we are all become as one that is unclean, and all our righteousnesses are as a polluted garment: and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, take us away. (Isaiah 64:6) and “All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” (Romans 3:23)

2.We are all accountable for our own sins before God. “For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may receive what is due for what he has done in the body, whether good or evil.” (2 Corinthians 5:10)

3.There is only one way to be forgiven of these sins and that is through the blood of Jesus Christ. “Jesus said, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” (John 14:6)

4.If we confess our sin to the Lord and repent of it (not allow it to rule in our lives) we can be forgiven and be in right standing with God. “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousenss.” (1 John 1:9)

5.Genuine salvation will result in living lives of good works but none of those works contribute in any way to our standing before God which is based solely and completely on the finished work of Jesus Christ on the cross. “But when Christ had offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins, He sat down at the right hand of God. (Hebrews 10:12) and “Not by works of righteousness which we have done but according to His mercy He saved us by the washing of regeneration and the renewing of the Holy Spirit. (Titus 3:5) and “For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God.” (Ephesians 2:8)

6.We all, men and women, boys and girls, have direct access to the throne of grace because everyone who is a born-again believer in Jesus Christ is called a “priest and king” in God’s economy. “But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for His own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light.” (I Peter 2:9)

I believe that many of the false teachings within the patriocentric movement are in direct contrast to these Scriptures and I would encourage each of us to first examine what we believe about Jesus and His work on the cross, its implications and its marvelous power.

Secondly, I would challenge anyone reading here to examine your own heart and ask yourself whether you have been trusting in good works….baptism, homeschooling, church attendance, modest dress, the list goes on and on, or if you have placed ALL your faith and hope in Jesus’ blood and righteousness alone.

And finally, I would challenge you to examine the teachings within your own church system, whether it is Protestant, Greek Orthodox, Roman Catholic, etc. Ask yourself what your church teaches about ecclesiastical authority and family authority. Does it line up with the Word of God? It is a top down system that requires certain works in exchange for a relationship with Jesus Christ or do you have the assurance that you are saved for eternity by His death on the cross in your stead? Does it teach that the fruits of the spirit and obedience to all the one anothers is what our lives will demonstrate or is there a list of man made rules?

If you desire to talk with me about this, please send me a note to shesthatmom@gmail.com. My desire is that no one who visits this website will leave without knowing the glorious truth that we can have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and can enjoy a life filled with His goodness and grace!