Patriarachy, Christian Reconstructionism, and White Supremacy

flag 2

Over the years that I have been observing the Christian patriarchy movement, I have alluded to the racism that is woven throughout their writings. I have mentioned the unseemly photographs that have shown up online from time to time, from black lawn jockeys prominently displayed in homes to pictures of homeschooling leaders gifting friends with Confederate flags. I have shown the connection to the Kinist movement. I have explained the racist undercurrent of the Elsie Dinsmore books and have also repeatedly discussed the nonbiblical hierarchy emphasis that undergirds this movement. Today I want to share with you an amazing resource that brings this altogether and I want to encourage you to read it with your thinking caps on because the key players in this movement are now being warmly received and welcomed and even promoted within mainstream evangelical circles. Tim frequently adds much to our discussions here and I look forward to hearing your thoughts after you read his article Patriarchy, Christian Reconstruction, and White Supremacy.

Comments

1. Raven says

A great article, that pulls together many things that have niggled in the back of my mind while reading about Wilson et. al. I first stumbled across the whole can of worms back in 2007 when I ran into the LAF website. I noticed then that their links all ran in a circle–they were all quoting each other all the time. This would probably be one reason why. I mean, even their English prose style doesn’t change that much from book to book or website to website. It’s eerie.

2. Jenny says

Thanks for the heads up on this post, Karen. It brings together very neatly most of the threads I’ve been trying to weave together for a few days since I found a flyer in my church’s foyer promoting a local symposium led by Wilson. Why TGC and the rest of the evangelical celebrity pastors are mainstreaming this guy is a mystery to me, but I’m not about to let him be promoted in my own church without a fight.

3. Laura says

Not of God…..for He is the creator that made us all. So, those who believe and follow Bible principles know this is one of Satan the deceivers lies to separate people/the Body of Christ.

4. Ruth says

Thank you, Karen. Sadly, I feel the only way for this stuff to be exposed more would be for the women involved to rise up and say what is happening. I have a feeling that in a few years the children of these leaders – those who mature enough to see through it – will be the ones to indict their own parents as to the falsehoods they were taught.

5. Anthea says

Hello all

I cannot read the article as our laptop is broken and the library has a firewall which blocks anything on this sort of subject matter.

All I have to say is this:

In Greater London, about 20% of the people are black, brown or yellow. But in London’s CHURCHES, 60% of the worshippers are from these groups.

2/3 of the world’s Christians are black, brown or yellow.

Some people are going to get one big shock when they get to Heaven.

6. Laura (old OR vintage) says

Hello all.It has been many many months since I wrote on here. In the meantime, we have made a total break from the evangelical/Baptist/neo Calvinist church, and I am overjoyed in so many ways. I cannot express what a relief this is, and how our kids have even regained their interest in and enthusiasm for church. We have joined a pro-life, liturgical Lutheran church, and being around Christians who operate in a whole n’other world in so many ways has been a healing experience. Of course,no church is perfect, no people are perfect, and the solution to this mess that has been created in Christian circles with crazy and repressive teaching is not that everyone join liturgical churches! But for our family, this has been a gift from God. Imagine a conservative church that allows women to speak, teach, help with Communion, make decisions and serve on the Board of Directors ! There isn’t any of the obsession with masculine vs feminine that I can find. There is no mention of the latest book by Mark Driscoll or any of his crowd. What peace!

However, as home schoolers, we still come face to face with absurd and alarming teachings such as what is covered in this article. ( Civil War Ball, anyone???) Karen, you remember that way back I was concerned about this racist thread that is permeating our community. This is an excellent article and I am convinced that if this issue is not brought out into the open, it will cause the home school movement to self destruct. There are so many women I have spoken with that have NO CLUE where alot of these guys are coming from or going to with their revisionist history of the Civil War, their glorifying of 19th century culture and gender roles, and absolute adherence to extreme views on science and creation. Keep exposing this, because I have seen it getting more and more pervasive. (And in mentioning Civil War Balls, I am not talking about historical reenactment or drama. I mean events sponsored by people who really think that the culture of the old south was a fine thing, and that we should honor its sad and tragic demise.)I know our conventions here are all controlled by the patriarch type guys. I haven’t attended one in years.

God bless you Karen, and keep it up!

7. Granddad says

I fear that folks like me, a complementarian as regards church office (only), attending a PCA church with several home schooling families (including the pastor’s), and very disapproving of the kind of patriarchy promulgated by Vision Forum, et. al. get painted with the same brush as Doug Phillips and Voddie Baucham.

Please remember that there are significant differences between traditional Calvinism and neo-Calvinism. Unfortunately, within the same denomination there can be both varieties.

Laura, I do disagree with your current egalitarian church home, just like I disagree with Karen’s Baptist church. (I am a Presbyterian, after all. :-) ) That doesn’t mean I think either of you are heretics.

What’s my point? Be careful how you use the moniker “Calvinist”. Don’t blame us all for the abuses of a few,

Granddad, from what I understand, your view would not really pass muster with “complementarians,” especially the ones who are speaking as the experts on complementariaism. What troubles me the most is that these same people are moving further and further down the patriocentric path and some of their applications are downright scary. Just last week Owen Strauchan, one of these spokespersons, wrote this nonsense.

And then there is the nondiscussions that occur….I would love to see these same people honesty answer the numerous questions they are asked.

You would be better off to use another word to describe yourself!

9. KH says

I just read the article that Karen put up and I cracked up! What on earth would this man think if he only knew that not only did my 2 older grown sons play with dolls (their sisters dolls) but also nursed them. They would watch me nurse my baby and they would run and get their baby to nurse. They are now 26 and 24 and believe me..They are very manly! This stuff just gets ridiculous!!

10. Laura (old OR vintage) says

Granddad, I think some would question your term egalitarian as regards our church! We are a branch of the Lutheran church that does NOT ordain women as pastors! This has never been as issue with me, though it is for many. All I ask is to be able to participate as part of the body of Christ, and I am very content with that. I think I am very traditional in my view of women in the church. Actually I think it is the evangelical, Calvinist/Baptist church that has changed and become obsessed with the subordination of women. I remember when I was a kid (awfully long ago), women were vital and contributing members of their churches. In many churches today it is more and more that women are marginalized in an almost fanatical way. Just for an example, I almost fell over when my new pastor gladly supplied me materials on Lutheran theology, included me in class discussions…even asked me to share with the Sunday School class. In other churches we have attended, basically only husbands were allowed to do so.I didn’t realize that so much of this had even rubbed off on me! A woman speaking up in Sunday School was considered out of line! I don’t think that it should be considered radical or even egalitarian for a woman to be able to learn and discuss theology in a mixed group…but some do! Anyway, it’s a great discussion and I appreciate the chance to share.

Hi Karen! I have missed you! Blessings to all.

I do appreciate that you don’t find those who hold different views on church to be heretics! You would be surprised at how many do!

Laura, one of the greatest sadnesses in this whole discussion is the realization of how much I lost during those patriarchy years and the hesitancy I still feel to contribute to theological discussions in a small group or Sunday school class setting. I think there are a lot of reasons why it is so hard to shake and the Lord continues to teach me plenty! Just yesterday I was confronted face to face with some of these reasons while reading Mary DeMuth’s book Thin Places. A big part of my response to these things is the desire to have people like me and that reasoning for many things I think and do hit me like a ton of bricks yesterday. Highly recommend this book…as she shares her own lifelong struggles with all sorts of childhood abuse, the story is really one of God redeeming her life one small place at a time and helping her readers to recognize the reasons we may have for falling into false teachings and beliefs in the first place. Powerful stuff and beautiful writing.

12. Granddad says

Laura,
    My apology for reading more into you original post than what was there. When I read “women teach” that seemed to signify a basically egalitarian model. The Board of Directors threw me as well. I presume, then, that the BofD are not the same as elders?

I have never been in a church were women are not allowed to speak during the Sunday School class or during congregational business meetings. I may be opposed to female pastor/elders but I sure don’t want to cut myself off from their insight and wisdom. Sunday School would not be the same without these ladies.

Heresy is a serious charge and cannot be made lightly. Are there heretics today? You bet your bottom dollar! I think many (if not most) of the name-it-and-claim-it folks are getting dangerous close to the line and periodically step over. I think the theology of the patriarchal folks is aberrant in many areas and often extra-biblical. Is it heretical? I’m not quite ready to put them in that camp….yet. Do I view them as a danger to the body of Christ? Oh, yes.

I enjoy “arguing” with my Baptist pastor friend and relish our periodic theology lunches. Clearly we think our positions are correct (why else hold them if you don’t) but neither thinks the other is a heretic. The impression I have of some of the patriarchal guys is that it would be nie on to impossible to carry on a civil discourse of the matter.

Thanks for thanking a swipe at me, Laura. :-)

13. Headless Unicorn Guy says

— Laura (Old OR Vintage)

Including it’s Peculiar Institution regarding certain Animate Property.

1. [...] couple blog entries ago I shared Timothy Swanson’s research on the connection between some homeschooling gurus and racism…This week, as a result of talking with a concerned homeschooling mom, I have been looking into the [...]